Is Well Testing Operator a Good Career Path?
One can never discriminate when it comes to career choices. Though some careers are better paying than others. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the sole interest of a person regarding a career path.
A career in well testing operator may not sound promising and you may have a lot of questions regarding this career.
- How much does it pay?
- What benefits will I get?
- What about job security?
All these questions may be racing through your mind.
There are many different career paths that an individual can pursue, and the well testing operator is one option that may be worth considering. This profession allows you to work in the energy industry and helps you build a foundation for a successful future. If you are interested in this field, then keep reading to learn more about it.
Reasons Why You Should Consider Becoming a Well Testing Operator
Typically, well-testing operators are responsible for conducting and overseeing all aspects of good tests. This can include preparing the site, setting up equipment, running tests, and interpreting data.
Well-testing operators play a vital role in the oil and gas industry by helping to ensure that wells are operating safely and efficiently. They also help to identify potential problems so that they can be addressed quickly.
There are many reasons why you should consider becoming a well-testing operator. Here are just a few:
- Well-testing operators are in high demand
- Well-testing operators are well-paid
- Well-testing operators get to travel
- Well-testing operators get to work outdoors
- Well-testing operators get to work with cutting-edge technology
As the oil and gas industry continues to grow, there is an increasing need for qualified well-testing operators. This means that there are plenty of job opportunities available for those who are interested in this career.
Because of the skills required and the importance of their role, well-testing operators are typically very well-paid. In fact, they often earn salaries that are significantly higher than the average for other occupations.
Many well-testing operators have the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country or even the world. This can be a great way to see new places and meet new people.
If you enjoy being outdoors, then a career in well testing operator may be perfect for you. Much of the work is done outdoors, so you will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
As a well-testing operator, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the latest technology. This can be a great way to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in your field.
Becoming a well-testing operator can be a great career move. If you are interested in this field, then be sure to research it further to see if it is the right fit for you.
Duties & Responsibilities of a Well Testing Operator
When you look for a job, the first thing you want to look for is the testing operator job description just to make sure that the job is even the right fit for you. Some of the major responsibilities of a well tester operator include the following:
- Should know how to perform nondestructive testing inspection through different inspection equipment that includes well testing equipment like H2S monitors, pressure testing equipment, and ultrasonic testing equipment.
- Should have the ability to conduct well testing operation which involves recording and collecting readings accurately from the monitoring system.
- An operator should be able to assist in the rig up and drill out process. While monitoring tanks to make sure that proper measures are in place.
- One should know how to record surface pressures, and gas and liquid rates and be able to determine a well’s production viability.
- Should be able to drive trucks that have testing different types of equipment from and to drilling sites timely.
Average Salary of a Well Testing Operator
Now let’s talk about the salary of well testing jobs. And if we are being honest, the salary that a well testing operator can expect is quite reasonable, which varies from $56,550 for starters and goes up to $220,275 for professionals.
The average salary is $89,050 per year and the average hourly rate is $45.67. That said, keep in mind that the work isn’t easy at all.
The operator needs to have a higher degree of concentration when it comes to working in a busy area. The operator must also have a sharp memory to operate specialized equipment in situations without a manual.
Educational Requirements of a Well Testing Operator
Though most employers do expect you to have a high school diploma. Along with sufficient Industry-approved training courses as they hire you.
The certification that is required is Fall protection, H2S Alive, emergency, and standard first aid. Then there are some certifications involving hazardous chemicals. For that, you need certification from the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. Along with a clear understanding of MSDS.
Though when it comes to license, you should have a class 5 driver’s license. The license is mandatory when transporting different types of specialized equipment.
Engineering itself is a skillful yet complex field and has some prerequisites that can’t be ignored. Some of the skills and competencies required by a well testing operator are listed below.
- Having an operator experience of up to 2 years.
- Must have strong customer service and communication skills.
- Should have energy service experience which can come in handy
- Must be a team player and should know how to lead a team at crucial times
- Expected to have flawless written and verbal skills along with amazing interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and one should tend to manage multiple projects in a sophisticated environment.
- Must be eligible to drive a company’s vehicle without violating any of the insurance guidelines.
When we talk about In-Demand regions for well testing operators in Canada, you can find a lot of well testing jobs in Alberta. Most of the cities that offer jobs related to the field are Clairmont, Grande prairie, Brooks, and Edmonton. Though there are a few jobs in British Columbia as well.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your interest. There are many things to consider while making a career decision. Well testing operator might be a good option if you are someone who’s interested in engineering and loves to handle complex situations that the field has to offer. Nonetheless, the field can be demanding. A well test operator’s responsibilities aren’t easy, yet the field is promising and offers a stable income.
The Primus Workforce team is proudly built on hands-on industry knowledge and experience.